Monday, October 3, 2016

Dance - a rediscovery and beyond

In present times, art forms such as dance and painting, among others are regarded as sources for creation of something aesthetically beautiful by a large body of audience. In fact, many find no "real" reason for practice of these activities. My existence without dance as a means of expression seems unthinkable, nevertheless I too have also found myself ask, "Why dance?" in the same essence as "Why paint?". To express, to create, yes, but why this instinct at all? This question has been a roadblock in defining my path to discover my relationship with dance.
Many many years ago, there existed no language. The only way to communicate was to enact or draw. Then our civilization found many a legible alphabet. The means of expression developed from spoken, to written, to typed words. Body language became a secondary means of communication.
However, dance survived in the human society by evolving into more ornate forms, traveling through temples and courts, theaters and streets, ballrooms and brothels. And now many, driven by this deep-seated existential urge, propagate this form of communication through the present times, and evolve it into more modern styles. While many others practice it as a specialized pass time, keeping it pleasantly visible to those who may not indulge.
Through this entire journey, dance, in its basic essence, still remains a means to project the worlds around us through a human body. It is this timeless quality I aspire to explore in my journey through dance.
This realization provokes a long-forgotten memory, surprisingly a mythological one; a story that I never quite understood as a child. I refer to the story from Mahabharata, where Yashoda asks Lord Krishna if he ate mud, which Lord Krishna denies. When Yashoda asks him to open his mouth and peeks inside, Lord Krishna projects an entire universe through his mouth and leaves her wonderstruck.
Ancient recorded history shows that dance has earliest noted presence in religious ceremonies and rituals. Like dance itself, my personal journey with dance begins here in a religious backdrop. I now wait to evolve….

Inspired by an essay by Doris Humphrey in "The Dance has many Faces", by Walter Sorell.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting thought! (Pardon me for my ignorance) how to differentiate between dance and sign language? in other words did the sign and verbal language evolved separately? which came first? I always thought evolution of vocal cord and neural network controlling verbal speech (of course with auditory and related networks) predispose humans to use verbal language over any other means of communication. I am not aware if any one addressed this view with scientific basis..

    ReplyDelete